You find a great builder, Now What? Here comes the exciting part, let’s explain the building process so you know what to expect for time frames. At Michael Lee, our owner/builder, wanted the client experience to be top notch so he has streamed lined the building process and invested resources in a system to allow you to watch and be educated on where your home is at every stage of the process. That’s the great thing about building with a reputable company, you come first!
- Design process, let’s spend the first couple of weeks drafting a plan with the lot to ensure we are customizing the plan to meet your specific needs. David Frosch is your designer and builder! Yes, the owner of Kootenia Homes is also your designer! He hammers out all the details and fine tooth the plan to ensure we have everything you want in this home! Your satisfaction is key!
- Contract, let’s sign the agreement once we have finalized your proccing.
- Design meeting, yes, the fun part! You will be meeting with our designer, Meridy, to learn more about prints, finishes, textures, stain choices, etc. She will provide insight from her experience to ensure that your choices reflect your individual style.
- Site Prep- Permit gets pulled and the lot gets surveyed. Contractors will excavate and level the lot according to the plan. The drainage will also be considered.
- Workers get moving on the footings and a poured foundation to ensure the structure of your home is stable. Framing comes next, the skeleton of your home! Next the barrier to the outside world, plywood and house wrap to ensure the outside does that stays out.
- Professional contractors will come into install your important mechanicals such as the heating and cooling units, electrical systems and plumbing lines.
- Next comes the insulation and drywall which becomes mudded, sanded and painted. Usually around this stage, the home itself begins to take shape where our clients really get the best feel for the space.
- Once the drywall is complete, the home really starts to take shape. The trim, flooring and cabinetry begins to arrive and get installed. The fixtures and appliances also begin getting installed.
- The loose ends begin to come together and take shape to get ready for closing. The site supervisor will contact you as the client to complete a walk-through of the home to ensure punch list items are addressed and to provide education for caring for your new home.
- The home is professionally cleaned and the final punch list items are completed.
- Closing on your new home. This takes place at the Michael Lee Inc office, typically ranges from 30 minutes to one hour to sign all the necessary documents.
- Move in day, very exciting!
It’s also important to note that each city has inspectors that inspect each stage of the process to ensure the builder is following the building code. If the builder fails to meet the requirements, they must redo until it is correct. This should provide you with peace of mind along the way.
Hope you have enjoyed our timeline that breaks down the home building process. From the beginning design to the move-in day, we hope you love the process.