Recently while meeting with customer to build them a Michael Lee Inc. home in Easton Village of Lake Elmo, they had ask us if there was anything as a consumer they should be asking of us, the builder. Dave, the owner of Michael Lee Inc., replied “How do you know we are a great builder?”
The customer responding by saying, your reputation. They had heard of us before. For this customer that in itself was enough for them to be sitting across the table from us looking to build a new home, but what if you had never heard of us before. How would you determine if we are a quality builder? Here are seven steps to determine that.
- Define your Wants and Needs: Some builders build all sorts of home in all different price points. By determining your wants and needs you can focus on a builder who specialize in a specific type of home, price range, or style. For instance, in our market place, we are a custom builder at Michael Lee Inc., therefore we are willing to work with you in modifying the plan to fit your needs and wants, also in our market place our national builders who tend to take the Henry Ford approach to building as to cars, “you can have any color you want as long as it is black.” Basically telling you that the plan is the plan.
- Experience Does Matter: Look for strong experience. How long has the builder been building homes? Speak to the leadership, is the builder a veteran or have they just started building in the last few years. Is the staff experienced and collected over the years to make an award winning team. Building materials and the industry has drastically changed over the years, builders with great experience know what works and what does not, For instance, at Michael Lee Inc., our owner David Frosch has been building homes for 33+ years.
- Are Past Home Buyers Satisfied: Are they happy? Are they Raving Fans? Any builder who is willing to allow you to speak to past customers are proud of their product. Ask past references about the process. Were they happy? Was it smooth? How did the builder handle a mistake, was it corrected?
- Is there a Design Team? Do they have Staff? Yes, some builders are one man teams and will say that is a way to keep your overhead down. The truth is, there are so many moving parts that having a team (a staff) allows for them to specialize on their areas to serve the customer. One of the reasons in Easton Village of Lake Elmo that home buyers build with us, is because of the team with Michael Lee Inc. we not only have a great team, but it is a championship caliber for the building industry.
- Warranty and Service: Ask about the builders warranty plan. Will they be there to stand behind your home, minor tweaks during a construction walk through one year later goes a very long way to delivering customer service. Ask the builders references if the builder was back after one year. In listening to Dave tell a story last night, he went back to a home to service the customer long after the warranty had expired. That means something.
- Resale Value: If you ever plan to sell, resale value should be at the top of your mind. Yes, some buyers once hearing who built your home will either devalue or appreciate the value of the home just in hearing who your builder was. In addition, the subcontractors and products in your home will determine if it will hold, decrease or increase your value upon resale. Dave, who owns Michael Lee Inc. and also Kootenia has created a strong desire in the market place to own one of his homes, buyers seek out our existing homes.
- Look for Signs of Quality: One advantage of hiring a builder with experience is you will be able to see the signs of quality in their selection of materials and labor. (subcontractors) If a particular product is failing or particular subcontractor isn’t performing, an experience builder like Michael Lee Inc., has replaced that product or person long ago. Look for attention to detail when you walk through the homes, models, and those of past customers. Consider the products the builder uses, does the builder have an opinion about a certain either for it or against it. Remember you are paying for their knowledge and experience in this area, it’s an added value.
For more information about our homes Michal Lee Inc. or about our neighborhoods, such as Easton Village of Lake Elmo contact Jay Fletch, of J. Fletch Real Estate Team of Edina Realty. 612-642-1189 or email me firstname.lastname@example.org. We specialize in selling or customers existing homes and helping them into new construction home.