Michael Lee Inc at Pioneer Point Villas is striving to design homes that fit our clients’ needs longer so they can remain comfortably in their home long after retirement and into the future. Pioneer Point Villas in Woodbury offers floor plans that can be customized for our clients’ needs now and in the future, whether faced with a current disability or knowingly or unknowingly in the forcible future. The one thing about our health is that we can’t stop the aging process but what we can do is plan for it.
Here are reasons that you should consider designing a custom villa:
- Zero entry home- Eliminating the steps on the main level. If a person is in a wheel chair or in a walker or recovering for hip surgery, even the shortest of step provides a hurdle. Michael Lee Inc. can redesign all of our plans to eliminate the need of steps on the main level so a flat entry from the front door, garage door and patio door lowers the risk for future injury and more freedom.
- Rounded edges in the kitchen and bathroom- When you are unstable on your feet, sometimes a fall is likely and it’s better to avoid the need for stitches by eliminating sharp corners. This is a simple solution that is often overlooked.
- Zero entry shower- Eliminating any barrier to entry into the shower creating a no lip entry to lower risk of falling. This will need to be designed for each person as the builder will need to decide then design on both the size and the style of shower needed.
- Toilet seat- Most toilets are designed lower so that when you have an injury or disability, the simple, needed task becomes more of a struggle. The height and design of the toilet will depend on the height of our client as we want it to be as struggle free as possible.
- Handrails and/or grab bars- The builder will overview the home with our client so that we can ensure that any needed ones are installed in hopes of preventing falling in the future. If the bars are not currently needed, we will review the placement and have the support installed for easy future installation.
- Clearance- Measuring to ensure property movement between doorways, hallways, kitchen islands and counter tops, and outdoor space. We want to ensure that you can now and in the future to be able to maneuver at ease through your home.
- Wider doorways- Both the door width and how the door swings will be designed for the clients, as we need to ensure that the person with a walker or in a wheelchair can easily access all parts of their homes.
- Counter top height and appliance height- Based on the client this may or may not be an issue. For example, a person in an electronic wheel chair that can lift, may not need to consider this change, but for a standard wheel chair or a person in a walker this is an important discussion to have.
These are only a few reasons that designing a custom home with a disability or an injury is necessary as you can be hands on in the process to ensure you are building a quality home that will accommodate your lifestyle. Making even the most minor adjustments can have such an impact on a persons’ life and here at Michael Lee Inc, we want everyone to gracefully age in their home comfortably. Call today at 651 -271-5470 to learn more about designing a custom villa in our development at Michael Lee’s Pioneer Point Villas or on an off-site location.